Joined: 19 Apr 2003
|Posted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 10:19 am Post subject: My project file is damaged. How can I recover my data?
|Q: I had a power failure and now I cannot open my project. VAKCER Project Tracker reports that the project file is damaged. How can I recover my data?
A: VAKCER Project Tracker regularly backs up each project it works with. By default, it keeps up to 5 recent copies of the project file and you can use the most recent back up to restore last good copy of your project. To do this, perform the following:
- Start VAKCER Project Tracker
- Go to Tools>Project Manager
- Select your damaged project file and click "Delete"
- Now click "Insert From..."
- Navigate to Backup folder in your VPT installation (by default, it's C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\VAKCER Project Tracker\Backup on Vista and C:\Documents and Settings\YourUserName\Local Settings\Application Data\VAKCER Project Tracker\Backup on Windows XP). Each project backup has consecutive numbers in the file name, e.g. "Software Development0001.ppf", "Software Development0002.ppf", etc.
- Pick the project file with the greatest number. Click OK.
- If the backup project cannot be open, try previous version until you locate the project which is not damaged.
This should restore your previous project data. You may still loose some tracked data since the last backup was created but the majority of project still should be recovered successfully.