Joined: 19 Apr 2003
|Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 9:01 am Post subject: vpt2.idx file corrupt after a crash. How to recover projects
|Q: Sometimes after system crash or power failure the project index file (vpt2.idx) gets corrupted and I don't see any of my files. How can I recover the projects?
A: To recover the projects, follow these steps:
- Shut down VPT
- Go to VPT data folder (by default, it's C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\VAKCER Project Tracker on Vista and C:\Documents and Settings\YourUserName\Local Settings\Application Data\VAKCER Project Tracker on Windows XP).
- Back up all the files and subfolders to another folder/drive to make sure that if anything else goes wrong, you will still have a chance to recover your data.
- Move all the *.prj files from "Projects" subfolder to a new folder (create a new folder somewhere). Let's call it "C:\NewFolder". Make sure the files are moved, not copied, that is, there should be no .PRJ files left in the Projects folder.
- Delete vpt2.idx from the VPT data folder.
- Restart VPT.
- Go to Project Manager (Tools>Project Manager). The project list should be empty.
- Click "Insert From..." button at the bottom of the dialog
- Navigate to C:\NewFolder folder and select "Project Files (*.prj)" from Files of Type list. The list of .prj files should appear.
- Select all the prj files. Click Open.
- Delete the backed up .prj files from the temporary folder.
Now you should have all your projects back.