vakcer.com home Log in to check your private messages

vpt2.idx file corrupt after a crash. How to recover projects

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alex
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 9:01 am    Post subject: vpt2.idx file corrupt after a crash. How to recover projects Reply with quote

Q: Sometimes after system crash or power failure the project index file (vpt2.idx) gets corrupted and I don't see any of my files. How can I recover the projects?

A: To recover the projects, follow these steps:

1. Shut down VPT
  2. Go to VPT data folder (by default, it's C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\VAKCER Project Tracker on Vista and C:\Documents and Settings\YourUserName\Local Settings\Application Data\VAKCER Project Tracker on Windows XP).
  3. Back up all the files and subfolders to another folder/drive to make sure that if anything else goes wrong, you will still have a chance to recover your data.
  4. Move all the *.prj files from "Projects" subfolder to a new folder (create a new folder somewhere). Let's call it "C:\NewFolder". Make sure the files are moved, not copied, that is, there should be no .PRJ files left in the Projects folder.
  5. Delete vpt2.idx from the VPT data folder.
  6. Restart VPT.
  7. Go to Project Manager (Tools>Project Manager). The project list should be empty.
  8. Click "Insert From..." button at the bottom of the dialog
  9. Navigate to C:\NewFolder folder and select "Project Files (*.prj)" from Files of Type list. The list of .prj files should appear.
  10. Select all the prj files. Click Open.
  11. Delete the backed up .prj files from the temporary folder.

Now you should have all your projects back.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VAKCER Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: