vakcer.com home Log in to check your private messages

Project Tracker was so close!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
spriggig

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: Project Tracker was so close! Reply with quote

Project Tracker is so close to what I've been looking for. Why oh why can't I just have it track all activity for all files in a certain directory? One project, one directory full of files associated with that project--the time those files are active is the time I spent on the project. It seems like it would be so simple and yet no tracking app I've looked at does it that way.
Alex
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Tracker was so close! Reply with quote

Well, it is not always easy to figure out what file an application has open, let alone where the file is located on your hard drive. Sometimes, an application reports a full path to the file it is currently working with. But most frequently, only a file name is shown, and in some cases, no file name is anywhere to be found at all.

VPT has to work with the information provided by applications it tracks. And if an application doesn't provide this information, well, there is not much we can do about it...
brianlj

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Tracker was so close! Reply with quote

spriggig wrote:
Why oh why can't I just have it track all activity for all files in a certain directory?

I use VPT to do just that. I use about 5 different programs to work with the files in a particular set of directories and then I sort them using the 'Sort' plugin.

Does that not work for you?

Mind you, as Alex says, if an app doesn't report a filepath, that's not really a fault of VPT, and there's not much it can do. Sad
vixbow

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:34 am    Post subject: Change your file naming conventions... Reply with quote

I've found that if you reorganize your format for naming files in a work/client directory you can get VPT to work the way you mention. You will have to use a prefix like "clientx_" for each file in the directory, but if you're willing to do this initial re-org life is EASY after that! You will then have to set up a "rule" for the project including your new prefix.

Hope this helps! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VAKCER Forum Index -> Feature Suggestions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: